Fix For Office 365 / App-V Interaction

In my previous post on this subject, I came to the conclusion that Office 365 apps just wouldn’t run in an App-V virtual environment. However there is a fix for this that can be applied to the client registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ClickToRun\OverRide] "AllowJitvInAppvVirtualizedProcess"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ClickToRun\OverRide] "AllowJitvInAppvVirtualizedProcess"=dword:00000001

Now, the only official mention of this key anywhere onlineĀ used to be in this knowledge base article:

Even a Google search for ‘AllowJitvInAppvVirtualizedProcess’ turns up this article, however all reference to it has now been removed. What this means in terms of support I have no idea, so this setting should be added at your own risk; however I have found it to fix multiple issues including:

  • Creating shortcuts to Excel as a way to sequence Excel add-ins
  • Pasting Visio objects from virtualised Visio into Office 365 Word

I have so far not seen any negative effects from using this setting and am recommending that people use it, with the disclaimer that anybody should contact Microsoft support before doing so!

5 responses on “Fix For Office 365 / App-V Interaction

  1. Roy Essers

    Had several times contact with MS support, every time they let me verify the key was set ;-), I think that say enough.
    If I recall correctly the key is now created on win10 1703 with appv enabled and recent O365 version as soon as it starts within an appv bubble!

    1. Good to know they still acknowledge it! As far as I’ve seen though that key does not get created automatically on 1703 but I’ll keep an eye out for that happening!

  2. Harry

    Hi Dan,

    I am facing difficulty with Sequencing CATIA V5 on App V5.0/5.1.More specifically, When we try to save the package it takes too long time and does not save and shows an error.

    1. Dan Gough

      If you can get a package output by choosing the ‘save now’ option instead of opening it in the editor, see if you get an invalid manifest detected – if so you can follow these steps to diagnose:

  3. Peter_Rdam

    Hi Dan,

    Thank you for this fix! Our Oracle Client ODBC-drivers are now visible and work stable within Access C2R.

    When I read this post first time, I tested this setting but it didn’t seem to do anything. But now, a few months later, I discovered my test-machine had only App-V Client 5.1 installed. While this fix requires at least HF2 to work.

    So, somehow ‘method 2’ in mentioned kb-article is still relevant.

Leave a Reply